BROADALBIN — Sacandaga Sportsmen’s Day, the region’s most informative day for local hunters, fishermen and outdoor lovers, will be held Saturday, Jan. 6, at Sacandaga Bible Conference.
The daylong event, sponsored by Frank’s Gun Shop in Mayfield and Bohm Construction in Amsterdam, begins with registration at 9:45 at the camp’s Ray Mills Youth Center on Lakeview Road, when refreshments, vendors and displays will be available.
The $20 admission includes the all-you-can-eat sportsmen’s buffet, featuring duck and venison, two seminars, the chance to win door prizes, including several firearms, and a session with the guest speaker, Steve Rockey.
Rockey, a master sportsman who founded the Sportsmen Ministry, is an author whose articles have appeared in such publications as North American Whitetail, Big Buck Magazine, New York Game & Fish and Rub-lines. His expertise lies in the consistent harvesting of trophy whitetails and wise spring gobblers.
The buffet of commercially raised game will include:
• Roast duck: Breast and leg quarters with honey-mustard glaze.
• Tomato rice with Fossil Farms ground emu and Green Hill Farms grape tomatoes.
• Homemade venison sausage with local onions and peppers.
• Hominy casserole with wild boar belly, sharp cheddar and green chilies.
• Green beans with braised wild boar short ribs.
• Caesar salad with Schlitz Farm goose fat croutons.
• Pumpkin raisin bread
• Apple pie
Guests also will be able to attend two of the 10 planned seminars:
• Multi-species trapping techniques with wildlife biologist and state hunting and trapping instructor Steve George.
• Hunting with high-powered silenced air rifles, with Steve Balough.
• “Bears I have known and eaten,” with Bill Kozel, who has significant experience with bears in the Adirondacks.
• Laws and techniques of home and self defense, with police firearms instructor and retired environmental conservation officer Bill Pitcher.
• What to eat when lost in the woods, with licensed Adirondack Guide and Project Wild facilitator Bill Naple.
• Bowhunting, with longtime hunter Terry Bice.
• Advanced tip-up tactics, with lifetime eastern Adirondack fisherman Rich Ortiz.
• Fishing the deep for cheap, with Roger Houck, owner of ice fishing tackle maker Rogers’ Rigs.
• Perch and crappie jigging through the ice, with Houck.
• Turkey hunting strategies from sunup to high noon, with licensed guide and TV host Rob Marotta.
For more information, go to http://www.sacandagabibleconference.com or call 518-883-3713.
Sacandaga Bible Conference on the Great Sacandaga Lake is a nonprofit camp and retreat center offering youth and family summer programs and community events all year, including a free summer concert series.